Thursday, February 21, 2013

Old Republic is not worth the trouble anymore

First off, I would like to say that this post should not be taken to heart entirely. I don't hate the game, far from it.  However, a combination of issues has made it not worth my time trying to log into the website or even getting into the game for that matter.  If this is the kind of thing you watch out for when looking for games to play, then I am glad I could give you some idea of what you might be getting into.

I had an account for SWTOR since I was offered a 7 day free trial through email a few months after the game was first released.  Unfortunately, I didn't have the money to continue playing the game after the trial had ended.  In fact, I hadn't started playing the game again until F2P was an available option.  So I started playing again, and about a month after I had started playing again is when the problems began.  The issues were mostly related to my account and only with the website.  The issues with the game didn't happen until a few days ago.

At first, the issue was that every few days (up to a week) when I try to log in to my account on the website I am taken to this page telling me that the computer I am using to access my account is not recognized.  I found this incredibly odd considering it's the only computer I have as well as the only one that I have ever used when logging into the SWTOR site.  So of course it would ask my security questions, questions that I set up well over a year ago.  I only remember the answers to two of them and unfortunately those two were only asked about 3 times total.  Why haven't I just changed them?  Well most sites that use security questions usually make it incredibly easy to change them, however SWTOR is the first website I have encountered that does not give the option of changing security questions/answers myself through some option under Account Settings.  No in order to change them I have to contact customer service, a feat that I have found to be near impossible.

Another odd bug is that sometimes when I'm logged in on the site and try to access another page on the site, it will load with me logged out of the site.  If I try to log back in, then it sends me back to the home page and when I try to go back to the page that logged me out it will log me out again.

What ultimately made me decide to give up was when the first issue became even worse and even spread to my game client.  Eventually, every time I tried to log in to the website it would always state that it doesn't recognize the computer I was using.  But it eventually it made its way to my game client and it unfortunately asked one of the security questions I didn't remember.  I was only allowed two attempts apparently until it locked my account.  However, something I've also never seen other mmo games or websites do, my account is locked indefinitely (rather than for a certain amount of time) until I get a hold of customer service.

This is the second issue I have with SWTOR, customer service is incredibly difficult to get a hold of.  There is no email address given on the contact support page and the phone lines are always packed with a large number of callers (I bet a good number of them have the same issues I'm having).
The longest I've waited to get a hold of customer service rep was about 5 hours until I decided to give up.

So my account is now completely inaccessible and even when it was, it was a giant pain.  And it doesn't look like this issue will be resolved anytime soon.  I love the game, I really do.  But it just doesn't seem worth it, and already having 3 email accounts (two personal and one school) I really don't want to have to make a 4th just to play SWTOR.

Again, I'm not trying to bash the game nor am I trying to tell anyone that they shouldn't start playing it. If it weren't for these issues I'd still be playing.

Until next time...

0 comments:

Post a Comment